A couple of weeks before the TET Offensive, whilst Whiskey Company was on the Horseshoe, a mixed Section patrol of 9 were
sent down to the Long Green to ambush a track which had shown signs of recent use. This patrol consisted of Bill Broughton,
Brownie Hamon, Wayne Chester and Sel Fraider on M60 machine guns, Mike Beasley and myself acting as Sel’s no 2. Mani
Mokomoko was placed at the rear of the ambush site to protect our “bug out” route. I am unable to recall who the other two
members of the ambush party were. My apologies Guys !

With 4 groups of 2, we set up claymores at both ends of the ambush site and settled in to wait. After only an hour or so laying in
ambush, I heard a swishing sound coming down the track towards Sel’s and my position. We were laying down behind an
anthill and were only about 2 metres from the track. I watched and counted 35 VC move into the ambush area as they were
silhouetted from our laying position. I tapped Sel on the shoulder and he set off the claymores which were all connected to a
cigarette tin which had a battery inside. Almost immediately, the claymores from the other end of the ambush went off.As
soon as the claymores went off and Sell began firing his M60. I was trying to hook up further belts, but Sel kept firing bursts
and I had trouble linking up the belts. Sel swore at me and stopped firing long enough for me to get the additional belts
hooked up. The firing from us went on for some time, and as the radio operator called in illumination flares which burst above
us, everything seemed to move. Towards the end of the ambush, I am sure that we were firing at shadows. Once the flares
ceased, Billy Bro called me out to accompany him on a sweep by torchlight. Quite honestly, I pissed my pants at that time, but
moved out with him to do the sweep. We found numerous packs containing Chicom grenades, other ammunition and clothing,
but no bodies, although we only swept our immediate front of the kill zone. I believe that we obtained enough grenades that
night for them to be diffused and everyone in W Company received one as a souvenir at the end of our tour. When we had
completed the search, we moved back to Mani’s position and returned to our Platoon harbor area. There must have been a lot
of blood in the kill zone we searched because when I awoke the next morning, I had a fair number of patches of blood on my

When I moved to Queensland in 1990, I met a guy named Peter Gurney who was in B Company 2RAR. When we got chatting,
he made a comment that he was dirty on W Company, because they had found 22 bodies in a mass grave about 3 or 4 days
after our contact and had to dig them up and take photos for the Intelligence Unit.

This was a night which I will never forget, however I must add that, for some strange reason, I never felt any fear or discomfort
in any of our further contacts during our Tour of Duty. I am sure that Wayne Chester would be able to confirm this contact and
maybe add to it from his experience from the other end of the ambush.

Regards to all my Whiskey Company Brothers